Monday, February 20, 2012

Learning more about peer mentoring


The benefits of peer mentoring


One of the core elements of my upcoming presentation will introduce the topic of peer mentoring and consider the benefits that peer mentoring brings to a mentee.  I know that any kind of peer mentoring scheme or buddy scheme benefits those who take part in them. This brings me back to my time as a student at the University of Wales, Bangor, where I had the opportunity to take part in the launch of a University wide buddy scheme.  I felt as though I was giving something back to the University by taking on a group of new student guiding and support them during their first few weeks and inevitable their first year at University. It was music to my ears to hear how valuable it was for them to have a peer to chat to and ask questions and in some cases having the mentor take on mentee as a tutee. 

With this in mind, it was clear that before looking at how mentoring could effectively be used for online programmes I needed to take one step back and look again at peer mentoring in general.    I call it peer mentoring, though it seems that it known under many names:

·         Peer tutoring
·         Peer mentoring
·         Proctoring
·         Supplemental instruction

I must admit that I find the last example in this list less appealing.  According to  Beasley, C. (1997) peer mentoring is regarded as  cost-effective means of providing academic support to students through the use of a valuable teaching and learning resource, namely other students and continuing on this them benefits would include:

·         improved understanding and performance in the subject area involved
·         improved confidence and study skills, as well as on-going friendships

I have to agree on both of these benefits, as I witnessed this myself as a mentor and mentee.  Peer mentoring has both a learning and social aspect to it.  At this stage I think it is important to look at the benefits from two main parties involved the “Mentor” and the “Mentee”. The research I have undertaken over the last few days has helped me to provide this following summary

Mentor Benefits

·         Mentoring provides the mentor the opportunity to develop both their leadership and professional skills through assisting their mentee in getting acclimatised to a new academic environment.
·         A peer mentor's own working knowledge of university policies and procedures provides the mentee with additional support.
·         Peer mentoring provides the mentor with an opportunity to build professional relationships within a given academic department.

Mentee Benefits

·         able to focus more on studies due to the support provided by their peer mentor
·         In many cases this supportive environment successful through peer mentor's empathy for the mentee's position.
·         The student is able to achieve a higher level of productivity because of her increased academic focus.
·         This builds confidence and increases the likelihood that the student will succeed in her new academic environment.

Some of my research also involved me looking for interviews that highlight the benefits of peer mentoring and the selection I am sharing here highlight much of what I had discussed thus far.



What I also find interesting about the short interview is that they elude to the fact that peer mentoring schemes are also used to help with the transition that many students have to make when the move on to life a University.

My next post will look more at Peer mentoring for online programmes


Resources:
Beasley, C. (1997). Students as teachers: The benefits of peer tutoring. In Pospisil, R. and Willcoxson, L. (Eds), Learning Through Teaching, p21-30. Proceedings of the 6th Annual Teaching Learning Forum, Murdoch University, February 1997. Perth: Murdoch University. http://lsn.curtin.edu.au/tlf/tlf1997/beasley.html

Peer Mentoring Benefits | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8367270_peer-mentoring-benefits.html#ixzz1mqkC6e7V

No comments:

Post a Comment