Monday, February 27, 2012

Benefits and problems of implementing peer mentoring revisited


My current research has brought me back to the topic of the benefits of peer mentoring, but also the problems, actually challenges establishments face when implementing a peer mentoring scheme.  Before I jump into this topic I also consider different approaches to mentoring and there are clearly a number of different approaches that can be taken:

  1. Competence Based approach 
  2. A Typology approach
  3. Integrated approach

The first approach seemed pretty clear, and after further reading the second approach looks more at variety in the mentor role, but I was more interested in the last approach as this approach is a combination of four development approaches
1.    Coaching
2.    Counseling
3.    Networking/facilitation
4.    Guardianship

It is this final approach that appeals the most to me , an approach that I would associate with mentoring.  One of the other reasons that this final approach speaks to me is that it supports both the intellectual and emotional needs of a mentee a view that is also shared by (Klasen and Clutterback, 2004)

So, it is back to the benefits of mentoring schemes.   It is all about support.  According to Baginsky (2004) mentoring schemes allow the student mentor to take on the responsibility for and contributing to a supportive environment for the mentees. Support with online and a distance learning programme is detrimental for the success of a programme. We spent an entire module during my studies looking at Supporting Blended and Online learning! Mentoring schemes clearly provide social and development support for mentees (Jacobi, 1991). The word support returns here again!  I had already consider the idea that mentoring schemes seem to influence the attrition rates, especially on distance and online courses, but one final advantage links back to the approach I spoke about in an early post, the integrated approach.  There are clear mentee advantages that that this approach brings through the four development areas:
  1. Identifying development needs, action planning and problem solving
  2. Goal setting, motivation and satisfaction, networking opportunities
  3. Personal change and time effectiveness

This is great for the mentee, but what about the mentor, who has invested their time to support the mentee in these development areas?  I believe it contributes to the entire learning experience and self-satisfaction

It was time to stop looking at the advantages and consider some of the problems (challenges) of implementing a mentoring scheme.  Before I am able to propose scheme it was time to understand the pitfalls.  When developing a training programme you set yourself some objectives.  If plan a meeting with a customer a set my own objectives for that meeting and clearly one of the challenges that can hinder the implementation of a peer mentoring scheme is the expectations and objectives are not clear and this for both the mentor and mentee.  

My first meeting with the BOE Programme leaders will be an objective setting meeting. What does the team hope to gain from this mentoring scheme and through the guest speaker sessions, what does the cohort perspective mentors see as the objectives of this programme. Aha, I already have a discussion question that I can pose to my cohort audience. I am sure that once we have a clear list of objectives for both mentor and mentee it will make it easier for both parties to accept this scheme.  I dread to think what would happen if we do not have this in place? Mentors forcing themselves on mentees, mentees feeling overpowered by the mentor presence, a situation that would bring with it unnecessary stress and possible failure.   I like lists of advantages and disadvantages here are a few of the disadvantages:
  1. Lack of consistency in meetings
  2. Absenteeism of the mentee
  3. Frustration of mentor
  4.  Lack of time
  5. Pressure to take on the mentor role
  6. Not taking feedback seriously
  7. Not open to coaching
  8. No perceived reward
  9. Personality mismatches
  10. Adequate support elsewhere, so no need for a mentoring scheme.

I will shortly be presenting my first guest speaker session where I will share much of the findings shared in these posts with my cohort audience.

For those interested in reading more on this topic here is a list of resources:
  • Baginsky, M. (2004). Peer Support: Expectations and Realities. Pastoral Care.3-8.
  • Klasen, N., & Clutterbuck, D. (2004). Implementing Mentoring Schemes: A practical guide to successful programs. Elsevier: London.
  • Jacobi, M. (1991). Mentoring and Undergraduate Academic Success: A Literature Review. Review of Educational Research, 61, 4, 505-532.

No comments:

Post a Comment